WoW.TableTopless.com

Home of Ishnu Por Ah, a WoW Guild on the Cenarion Circle RP Server.

Login   Register FAQ    Search
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Obsession! Server census
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:30 pm 
Matriarch

So my current obsession is warcraftrealms.com and the realm census they keep. I’ve always looked at it from time to time. But the last time I looked I realized just how off it was. Always knew it was but never looked that hard before. At least for our server, Cenarion Circle, it’s way off though I’m sure we are not alone. The reason why it’s so off is because of the lack of reporting. Alliance:Horde ratio of reports is 133:14.

It bothers me that it’s so skewed because you see folks use websites such as these as ways to defend their premises about server populations. I can’t keep people from being dumb and not realizing that they’re using bad information. So I just have to do the next best thing and help make the numbers more accurate. I’m big on accuracy and understanding. >.<

Reporting is done through the use of an addon provided by warcraftrealms to players who wish to help keep the census. You can have it set up to scan the server automatically everytime you log on or you can do it manually. It doesn’t clog up the gameplay and cause lag, which is nice, and depending on the time of day and how busy the server is takes anywhere from 2-10 minutes. When you log out for the day, you can just then go to the warcraftrealms.com website and import the info from your WTF folder. The information they show on the website is based upon the info they receive over the course of the last 30 days.

Since it’s new to me, I’m usually taking like 2-3 surveys every day at different times, since it only counts characters when they’re logged in. Then before going to bed, I import the .lua file. I’ve already collected more names than their website says exists Hordeside in just the 4 days I’ve had it. It’s nice because the only extra effort I really have to put into it is the import.

If anyone wants to join me in my obsession, just visit the site, download their censusplus addon and enjoy the statistical fun with me! One step closer to correcting some of the fallacies about our server. >>

Post subject: Re: Obsession! Server census
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:08 pm 

Alrighty. I've downloaded it and installed.

Now you have look at Beyond the Tree.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:22 pm 

And my first results are depressing:

Top race: Blood Elves
Top class: Death Knights

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:27 am 

Tarjin wrote:
And my first results are depressing:

Top race: Blood Elves
Top class: Death Knights

That's how it'll be for all your results. This is why I stopped doing census scans. Nothing but elves. It was making me sad.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:38 am 
Matriarch

DKs being the top class in numbers really isn't that surprising because nearly every single 80 made one. Hell, even I have one but I haven't played him in months because he's now stuck at 67 because of boredom.

As for Blood Elves, yes, there may be alot. Currently my numbers have them as 39% of the total population. But that isn't the majority of the Horde and Tauren are second highest. Half of those blood elves are paladins. Also not surprising since they are currently only the class that can be paladins. Side note, have you seen how many Tauren play druids? @.@ Also partly a result of them being the only race with that class available.

I'm actually guessing that when Cataclysm comes out there's going to be a slight population change. Gonna see a bump in Tauren and a drop in Elves. Some folks won't wait for race changes to make a Tauren paladin or priest. And then when race change is available, there will be an interesting change, I think. I've heard everything from belfs turning into Tauren, to undead turning into goblins (if possible), to belfs turning into trolls. Oh, and of course there will be a good number of goblins popping up. >.< I don't dislike goblins, but you know there's going to be a flood of them. Think of all the people that are going to leave Horde to make Worgen too.

I don't see it as depressing. But I think I just don't put any emotional attachment to it. I just want the numbers to be more honest, no matter what they are.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:04 am 

Oh, I'm over my depression now, such as it was. It just wasn't the numbers I had hoped to see.

I do have a death knight (level 62, haven't had time for him lately). My blood elf paladin made it to 14 before I deleted him; I just didn't enjoy being a blood elf and didn't like the blood elf starting area much.

Having looked over the census page for Cenarion Circle, I'm hoping to do my part to improve the numbers.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:22 am 

How is the census updated on the WarcraftRealms site? I've submitted 3 reports now, not a lot I know, but the reports in the last 30 days are still 14 for Horde.

Also, I still have NoScript blocking exponential.com and their subsidiary tribalfusion.com. That wouldn't have an effect on my report going through, would it?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:25 am 
Matriarch

I've actually started wondering the same thing and was going to make a post on their forums asking the question. The 'front page' of the server doesn't change. But I've looked at individual guilds since starting and see the numbers there are different. When I looked at Ishnu Por Ah's bars, it onyl showed 14 people and no belfs. It has recently included Tyzen, now and a few others. So it is being put into the system, it's just that not everything is being updated.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:30 am 
Matriarch

Well, looking at their forums, it seems that we are not the only ones who have noticed the numbers are not changing. Waiting to see if there is a reply. :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:01 pm 
Traveler

I'm doing my part; installed the client yesterday and will try to upload each time i log into game.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:54 pm 

I discovered I was trying to upload the wrong file. Yes, it does tell me where the file is on the upload screen, but when a search reveals about 2 dozen files named "censusplus.lua" on my machine, I'm not surprised I was choosing the wrong one.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:57 pm 

Cenarion Circle's numbers finally updated. 91 entries in the last 30 days--Go us! And the Horde total population number is almost 4 times what it was before.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:47 pm 
Matriarch

Woo! \o/ But our work is never done! :D Need more input! More input! Johnny 5 is alive!