WoW.TableTopless.com

Home of Ishnu Por Ah, a WoW Guild on the Cenarion Circle RP Server.

Login   Register FAQ    Search
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Revamping the guild for 2012
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:05 am 
Matriarch

So let’s talk guild. I'm discussing this in an open forum versus our closed guild forum because I don't mind opinions about the subject from those not in the guild also.

I’ve let it slip on and off the past couple months how I’m thinking of revamping the guild some. Here are the reasons why.

First off, we just don’t play like we used to. When IPA was created back in Vanilla, we were inspired by a strong RP community to fit RP into our daily game lives. But the game and server has aged. And although we have some really well developed characters, we just don’t get involved in the RP as much as we used to. Our attentions have focused on other things more than RP. Raiding and alts in game, other things outside of game. Many of us in IPA have been in WoW since Vanilla and we’ve aged like the game.

Second, the concept of our guild no longer fits. It’s an awesome concept, but let’s face it, there isn’t the support in the community for such a limiting and specific guild anymore. Most of the people who have joined the guild or wanted to join the guild most recently have not been Tauren. And I’ve been letting folks in with far less regard as to our guild concept for the purposes of our raid and just because they’re friends.

Third, I ain’t as strong an RP guild leader as I used to be. I’m actually pretty lazy. Well, lazier. My main goal at this point is just to give people a social place to belong to that provides what they want in terms of gameplay.

Four, I want IPA to continue, I just don’t think we can hang onto the old in order to continue prospering as a guild. Thus, a revamping.

Post subject: Re: Revamping the guild for 2012
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:04 pm 

Revamping would be good. Open the guild up to character we have traditionally been reluctant to allow, warocks, mages, rogues, non-hybrids basically. Have one (and only one) round of mass-inviting. Intentionally NOT have an RP rationale for the change, to further reinforce the idea we're not the same guild anymore.

Admit it's not a RP guild anymore, fully and publicly, open it up as a social environment guild. Emphasize that we're going to retain some aspects of the RP mindset, such as a willingness to play in character. And a heavy weight towards civility, cooperation, generosity, and maturity (hallmarks of many RP players, not so much of standard PVE players).

Enforce kicking of those who do lot play to the above mentioned standards. Develop a new ruleset to shape and inform those standards, and to put them into day-to-day practice.

Continue playing as before.

Just my 2¢....

Plainsy's Player
(absent but most vehemently NOT gone...)

EDIT: this post, and any other posts I make, are to be taken as my perception, and my opinion, only, not to be taken as fact, or me speaking for anyone. If such is the case, the fault is entirely mine, and I apologize.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:48 pm 

I agree with most of what's been said so far. However, I still feel the guild desrves it's rp tag, even if we're considered more of a light rp guild. More members might mean we can have the rp flow again. Recruitment is definitely something I feel we need to do, and I feel it should start right now. First off, we don't have a strong enough core for true raiding progression. Things like rated battlegrounds could also be considered sometimes in the future if we do have more members. If we go that route though, an application process should be implemented. I'm not talking about a form on the website or anything like that, but a short interview with pre-determined questions just to see if the person will fit into the guild.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:13 pm 
Matriarch

So this is my idea for what I want the guild to ultimately be. In brief, a themed, light RP guild in which nearly anyone can join without limits to race or class, with an effective, progressing 10 man raid group.

I agree in maintaining some RP theme. Having a concept. Something with which those who belong and do RP have something to fall back on. I just want it to be something that is less restrictive. I’ve already given some thought to this and how it will be accomplished.

The concept I’ve been developing would allow every race in (even to the extent of Alliance ones if we were to be so bold as to try and create a crossfaction guild. Unlikely, but it does leave it open as a possibility), but classes would be limited in that we would still not allow warlocks. Unless someone else wants to run the guild, it just ain’t gonna happen. Sorry. I’ll expound on why a little later. It would also allow people to do whatever the hell they want in game in terms of gameplay. As of right now we have restrictions on things like going off and killing world leaders, ‘harassing’ Alliance, etc. And I know people want to get their chievos, and they know how much I hate having it happen OOC with our guild tag over their heads. I’m not saying I want everything people do to have an IC reason. I’m saying I don’t want to have people have to give IC justifications to fit the guild concept because anything they do can fit into it no matter what and other people won’t be coming to me asking “Why the HELL did I see IPAers attacking Stormwind last night? I thought they don’t do that sort of thing.”

Having said that, I’m also considering not just a concept change, but a NAME CHANGE as well, now that we can pay to do that and not lose any of our well earned guild level perks.

I do agree to their being some sort of public announcement of this transition. But at the same time I don’t want it to just be BAM! we have changed. I want it to flow from being what we were to what we want to be. In other words, it gets RP’d out. Even if it’s just a forum story. I have actually started doing that to a great extent by playing out/writing the “Change” storyline I’ve been following with Red. As I’ve mentioned it’s the road to her retirement. There is no way that I would feel comfortable having the guild make these changes with Red in charge. She is who she is, that won’t change. So have to push her out. That’s something I’ve been doing for months now, so it gives you some idea of how long I’ve actually been considering this.

Red’s story will be completed allowing Mishkwaki to fully take over as leader of the guild. He looks like a old, conservative Bull, but trust me, he ain’t. Mishkwaki will be the one telling the guild IC how he wishes to drop the Tauren only ideals and instead accentuate more the strengths of the various races and how no nation should be subject to any other nation. I’ll get into that more a little later too.

Basically, RPing the heavy RPness out of the guild so we can mostly just play our game the way we want but still have some semblance of supporting/respecting RP in general. I’m also prepping the guild for when Pandas exist. I already know we’re going to end up pushing Pandas and I want them to be a part of the guild without wondering if they fit under the guild’s hooves. >>

As for the raid group, yes, soon as I get back we’re going to be bolstering that up better. Get a few more bodies in because we’re losing a few folks and be looking at the people we do have and asking them how serious they really are about wanting to raid. I’m not looking to be an uber raid group, but I have concerns about its preparedness as it is now. I don’t believe learning the bosses should be as hard as we make it, I want a bit more commitment to it from our raiders(it’s really not that hard to do that), so there’s going to be some slight changes so we can hopefully have smoother runs and easier kills.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:16 am 
Sentinel

I'm glad that there's awareness of this. As someone that's just come back after a long break, my impression was, "Huh, this is a raid guild now. A very friendly non-elitist raid guild where people talk like grown-ups, but it's a raid guild." Which isn't to say I regret coming back, but I sure as hell miss the RP, even if it was just chatter in /g. I think I can count on one Tauren hand the amount of RPs I've even seen in guild chat since coming back.

Nothing wrong with this, people change. RP in WoW is hard - people want to play the damned game! People want their achievements! How to you represent antagonists? How much can a collection of people complain about Deathwing, or how cold it is in Northrend?

And yet, I do think it's a shame. People have mentioned IPA being one of the few successful themed guilds, much less one that's still operating. I don't think people remember the guild for its raiding prowess. I can't really speak to what members regard as their high points. Your best memory as being part of IPA - was it RP or was it a raid? How many of your top ten memories fit in either category?

I think it's probably the better call to fit the guild to the players rather than the other way around, especially in what I suspect may be the twilight days of the guild and/or the current players' interest in WoW. Again, too bad, but it's the realistic choice. I don't even think that there will be much attrition.

I think the name change makes sense, as does perhaps leaving the old guild tag around for the heavier RP characters perhaps, people to leave alts in, what have you. I think IPA has developed a pretty cool rep over time, and it would be a shame to see that disappear.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:05 pm 
Matriarch

Yes, I've been aware of the difference in the guild for a good long while now. I've just been slow in really taking action. And, yes, IPA has a very good reputation based on what it was. In mentioning my plans to a few others, some were a little shocked and pleading not to do it because IPA and Red are server institutions! But they're basing their feelings on the past not the present.

And that's part of the reason I think a name change is in order. To let IPA and Red remain what they were in people's memories. Those who've been around long enough to remember. Yes, I'm debating a namechange for her as well.

We don't RP like we used to, not at all. But every once in awhile my characters do pop out of their ahell in game and I personally still relate all their motivations to theit actions in game. So, yeah, like rhem, I'd like to keep an IC themed shell to the guild of some kind.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:46 am 
Traveler

Whatever happens, I'll be supporting your decision. Change is needed and welcomed.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:05 pm 

If Ishnu Por Ah changes names, will there be a placeholder for the name? It would be a shame to have someone decide to use it, even with good intentions.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:41 pm 
Fellow

Keeya wrote:
I can't really speak to what members regard as their high points. Your best memory as being part of IPA - was it RP or was it a raid? How many of your top ten memories fit in either category?

I think my favorite Ishnu memory might be doing the level 60 Scholomance quest as a group of five tauren shaman. It was both a raid and RP because it was something our characters did as denizens of the world.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:40 pm 
Traveler

Tarjin wrote:
If Ishnu Por Ah changes names, will there be a placeholder for the name? It would be a shame to have someone decide to use it, even with good intentions.

Well, if we want to hold the name, I can always leave a toon there for the placeholder, unless someone else wants to do it. Though it might be my troll.

Echota wrote:
I think my favorite Ishnu memory might be doing the level 60 Scholomance quest as a group of five tauren shaman. It was both a raid and RP because it was something our characters did as denizens of the world.

I remember that run. That was good ole fun.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:19 pm 

Hey,
I know I haven't been around in quite a long time; be trying really hard to get back online ASAP...
I don't know what has been up lately. I do hope that we keep the solid family aspect of IPA... I know many people don't RP like you Classic people used to but I am pretty sure that it should remain a key aspect of this guild. Opening the guild to others it a cool idea, I think bringing fresh faces in that can respect the guidelines setup in IPA we might even be able to restart some sort of RP relationship. (As per Reknor's comments)

I hope to be back soon, I do miss playing I am pretty interested in checking out all the fun additions lately.

Cheers,
Masax!!!