WoW.TableTopless.com

Home of Ishnu Por Ah, a WoW Guild on the Cenarion Circle RP Server.

Login   Register FAQ    Search
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:58 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Retirement and the (near) future
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:37 pm 

'Allo folks!
Just poking in to say I'm still alive and what not. Hurricane Irene didn't kill me, and neither did the 300 lb treadmill that (i think) broke my toe.
I don't know what to say. I think an "update" of my life probably isn't necessary since I tended to keep most of my going-ons to myself, so I doubt anyone has much interest in what I'm doing now as far as real life.
But to give a brief break down of recent misadventures: I got an entire Minecraft server addicted to My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, started work on a comic based off myself and my friend, and have gone back to school.

Anyway. I've been dawdling back and forth about maybe coming back to WoW. But the more I thought about the less I liked the thought. The only reason I'd be coming back is so instead of saying "I'm bored" and then going off to watch some obscure Japanese show or draw, I could instead sit around in Orgrimmar waiting for something to happen or chat with you folks.
A lot of thinking later and I've really decided that the game play in WoW and MMOs in general is just far too static and too rigid. And by rigid, I mean too dependent on tanks and healers. I'm spoiled by quicker FPSers and more creative based games like Minecraft. And the 15 dollars a month isn't worth using the game like Skype. So, yea. Quite certain I'm done with WoW all together.

However. As of Gamescon in Germany, I've been introduced an MMO that has caught my eye. Guild Wars 2. I'd heard of it before, didn't really care. But I watched a Total Biscuit video featuring the gameplay and a Yogscast interview with one of the head designers and I was instantly sold. I could go on for quite a while on a tangent about all the promises and plans Arena.nets been making public, but then I'd start to sound like some sort of recruiter.
Let me just tell you, look into it.
Anyway, my point is, that WILL be a game I'll be playing (given I still have a viable PC on which to play it on) when it comes out. And, if by chance, it does attract any of you folks I'd love to maybe see you all again in another world. Fresh slate, new lore, new characters.
So...yea? Uhm. I'm not really sure what else to say. I've been fairly compelled to make a post for some time now (be it IC or OOC) but I've wound up deleting them each time.
All together, I guess what I want to say is I miss you guys, but not enough to pay 15 dollars a month but enough to not want to see you all again.

Post subject: Re: Retirement and the (near) future
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:54 pm 
Matriarch

I totally agree about not coming back to WoW if the game itself doesn't really interest you anymore. I admit, I'm starting to waver myself. But since I spend a couple days raiding, and do enjoy it, that's keeping me in game still. For the time being. That, and I still have the friends in game to do it with. If they all left, I wouldn't stay just to raid. The community is not the same anymore, things in general don't hold my interest as they once did. I love my characters, but without a strong foundation of people to bounce their hijinks off of, it's starting to lack. I want people that will connect their RP to the game world, and very few people seem to want to do that anymore.

We are talking more and more about future games. Quite a number of us are looking at SWTOR. It's different in the sense of it being a space opera. A step away from the 'pure' fantasy, though SW definately has fantasy elements in it. Scenery wise, just something a little different. Been watching the gameplay and character progression trailers and vids too and it looks promising. Grimes has been playing the beta and he's really liking it. So we're giving it consideration. We'll see how things progress with the game the closer it comes to an actual release date before making a solid decision, I think.

My biggest disappointment, and it's a personal taste thing, is that all the playable races are very 'human'. Even if they're blue with fat tentacles on their heads, the basic figure is still human. I might have been spoiled by WoW which has allowed me to be a Tauren, Orc, Worgen, etc. Because before I used to love just simply being a Dwarf before WoW came out. That is no longer satisfactory enough for me, ha.

Before today, I hadn't really looked at GW2 because, well, Guild Wars the original didn't really impress me at all. But since you pointed GW2 out, I took a look. I, admit, I'm really impressed. The art is beautiful. The world looks colorful and vibrant compared to other MMOs that have come out. (Another reason other games have not impressed me. Too grey, too brown, too blah.) I imagine though, that you'd really need some powerful vid requirements to make it look as awesome as it does in the vids I watched. Playable races are varied, which is a HUGE plus. I even like the look of the 'elf' race. They're background variety also catches my eye. I would actually try and play every race there except human. Ha. Watched some of the game play, and, yeah, it too looks pretty fun and open. Like SWTOR, I'm holding full judgement until it gets closer to release date. Have quite a bit of time to absorb it all. But it's definately something to watch out for now. :)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:35 pm 

Actually. My primary reasoning for suggesting Guild Wars wasn't even the unique gameplay or painted art style.

It's the built in biography and personal storyline.
It's an MMO with an RP aspect as a major central selling point. And when I say biography, I don't mean it has a built in Flagrsp. There's a personality meter that affects how NPCs react to you, an instanced "home" area affected by decisions you make, and this whole system of gameplay based around developing your personal story inside the game.

Looking at the races I was wondering what would uphold codes close to the ideas of Ishnu Por Ah? And, unfortunately, it's the bloody elves. The "Sylvari". Although, the fact that they're a 25 year old race of people made entirely out of sentient plant matter makes up for the fact that they're elves. Just slightly.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:22 pm 

Nishk M. Winterspear wrote:
I got an entire Minecraft server addicted to My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:54 am 
Matriarch

The biographies and development of the character over time I kind of encompassed in what I liked about the gameplay. Yeah, that's pretty intriguing too. Not just the background of the races and the world, but the whole character creation and karma aspect during play are quite interesting. I loved how they make you put a signature on a piece of paper when you come up with the character's name. Biography building even before the game itself has really started. :D SWTOR has a similar karma thing going on to make conversations with NPCs 'unique'. Though I don't know how much it effects the game world as much as it seems to with GW2. I also like that it seems like you can choose to do different things to accomplish a zone goal. Meaning it's less linear from quest to quest. From a character driven aspect, this is neat since it allows you to contribute to the general goals and possibly gives you ways of not comprimising your character's values. That's one of the things I've 'struggled' with in WoW from time to time. Refusing to do quests because it went against my character's belief system.

Eh, if we were to ever get the notion of transferring to a game as a group, I personally wouldn't be trying to keep IPA's philosophies and carrying them over. It's a different game and I'd be trying to find the niche in it that sounds interesting to me. And as a group, sounds interesting to the majority.

The Sylvari sound interesting with their innocence and inner struggle to balance what they are born knowing with their idealisms and continual need to learn more. The Norn are cool for being nordic barbarians with the ability to shapechange and take on the aspects of their spirit totems. The Charr are neat because they're horned, cat people with a steampunk, militaristic society struggling to remain strong despite internal and external wars. I like the Asura for being cute, short rat people of high intelligence who are haughty with a major superiority complex. Humans, well, they're human. Ha. Least interested in them.

I lean towards Charr. Not surprising really. They're big, bulky animal people. And they like making guns and armored vehicles. Win. >> Norn are next. I think that's because of familiarity due to enjoying tribal, shamanistic and hybrid classes. Reasons why I liked playing Tauren. Sylvari come next because I like the whole plant people born with shared knowledge aspect. What bothers me about them is that I imagine seeing too many people play off their innocence as if they were naive children. Not to mention that they are suppose to be small in number but there will so many people playing them (and many females ones) because they're the 'pretty race'. I tend to shy away from that. >> I love diminutive races because the idea of a little guy overcoming a challenge whether it be with smarts or with a weapon way too big for it just calls to me. But I don't think I could pull off the Asura's superior attitude for very long. It would be kicking my modesty too much in my face, heh. But they're chibi. ;_; I like chibi! I'm wavering. I'd play a gnome if they weren't Alliance. Or a goblin if they weren't so Jersey Shore, ha. Anyway, those are my initial feelings about the races. My opinions could all change depending on the development of the game.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:47 am 

Star Trek Online is going free to play later this year, though it still suffers from "everyone is humanoid" syndrome.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:35 pm 
Matriarch

Star Trek looks boring as hell.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:34 pm 

GW2 looks bloody amazing.

but they don't make a mac client. Which makes me so very very sad.
(seriously, no mac client? in this day and age? WTF?)

EDIT: this post, and any other posts I make, are to be taken as my perception, and my opinion, only, not to be taken as fact, or me speaking for anyone. If such is the case, the fault is entirely mine, and I apologize.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:26 pm 

As it stands I'm probably going Asura. Self assured, big headed and far too cocky for their own good. Although I forsee a lot of "cutesy" and "goofy" characters produced from the race, I kind of want to remake Nishk, who wasn't the most self-assured of characters, but was was modest by way of humor and flat out failing. I think maybe instead of using humor as his outlet for humility, there'll instead be a lot of backhanded compliments and wise cracks all while acting "Buddy buddy" with the 'lesser" races. Not essentially to be an ass, but because it's "the truth". More over, given one of their racials may be the ability to summon a golem suit in which you can go all "VOLTRON ASSEMBLE" on somebodies ass is pretty appealing. The look and feel of the race is interesting, the attitude is a little Blood Elfish but a little less focused on being bimbo blondies, and the architecture is just awesome.
Norn seem to be another big headed race, but much more forward about it. Light hearted, and not essentially malicious in nature, but definitely obsessed with themselves and "obtaining greatness". I can see being a border-line Asgardian as being pretty awesome tho, so there's that. And any race that invents a game that can us the title "Kasketball" has to be a pretty damn good option.
Char don't actually interest me to much. Too Spartan, and too many ears.
Humans are humans, but their look and general feel has caught my eye and I think I may be drawn towards them for the first time since I've had the option to choose other races.
And Sylvari...are plants. And elves. Too pretty.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:28 am 
Matriarch

See, I never really minded elves until WoW. I mean, they were never my favorite, but I never had a dislike for them until WoW tainted the race horribly for me. =O

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:31 am 

RedEarth wrote:
See, I never really minded elves until WoW. I mean, they were never my favorite, but I never had a dislike for them until WoW tainted the race horribly for me. =O

Actually, yea. That sounds about right. LotR and the few DnD games I was interested in when I was younger actually painted some interesting characters amongst the elves.
But now when I think elf I think slutty outfits, bad ear-handlebar jokes, and racist dicks.

Still, I've got a bad taste in my mouth when it comes to elves.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:48 am 
Traveler

Hey Nishk, good to see that yer still alive and kicking. Not that you were missing and all.

Anywho, I'm looking into SWTOR. Haven't checked out GW2 yet, but *shrugs*. Right now, my interests in new MMO's are meh. If there's something free to play, I'd probably get it and try it, but with so many games coming out for the pc and console, I'll be busy deciding what to play.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:04 pm 

Jindall wrote:
Hey Nishk, good to see that yer still alive and kicking. Not that you were missing and all.

Anywho, I'm looking into SWTOR. Haven't checked out GW2 yet, but *shrugs*. Right now, my interests in new MMO's are meh. If there's something free to play, I'd probably get it and try it, but with so many games coming out for the pc and console, I'll be busy deciding what to play.

GW2 is f2p. All you gotta do is buy the box. I've said it already- but man, CHECK IT OUT. Right now, a lot of folks think it's looking like the best game of Late 2011 early 2012 that's coming out. I'll reserve my opinion until after I've tried it, but I'd be lying if I said I wan'nt 'cited.

Now. I must go give my thesis about why Australia is the most underrated country in the world.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:20 am 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBC_ig73aMs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3uMlHSb ... re=related

I've said I didn't want to go on a long tangent about why I'm looking forward to this new GW game, so I haven't. Instead this fellow has done a decent job wrapping up most of what has me excited into 2 reasonable videos.
One "Top 10 things" and then a sort of runner up video with another 10 features.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:10 am 
Traveler

Your video convinced me. I'm gonna go reserve it this weekend, along with many other games. First, gonna see what games I have completed and use as a trade in to save some monies.