WoW.TableTopless.com

Home of Ishnu Por Ah, a WoW Guild on the Cenarion Circle RP Server.

Login   Register FAQ    Search
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:06 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Poking the waters
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:28 pm 
Matriarch

Leader first. If I don't see someone say, "I'm leading this puppy come hell or high water" I'm not supporting it. Last thing I want is a bunch of people getting together but without someone steering the ship, and get nowhere and fall apart. Because there is going to be no way the other 10 man raid can absorb them. You can get 10 people to form a raid. That's not the problem. Finding someone to be dedicated to be there every day, point where to shoot, and handle issues, that's the part what needs to be set in stone.

Our raiding started for one simple reason. Eslyn said he'd lead it. And he did. And he did it well. But yes, the second he put that out there, everything else just came together. Then I took over because he had to go decide and be all grown up and join the military. XD

So, dedicated leader first.

As for A team/B team foolishness, that's handled and avoided by support and mentality.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:09 am 
Matriarch

Someone asked me last night what it is I do to lead a raid. I figured I'd answer it publicly so everyone gets a sense of what I expect.

First, set up the schedule for the week. Invite everyone, tell them generally what to expect doing on those all on the Calendar. Confirm the roster before 'show time' so people know who's going and who's on standby. I try my best to give everyone a fair shot within the raid requirements. That meaning I always need two tanks and two healers. Meaning that more than usually the main tanks and healers get to go every week and the DPS get shuffled unless there's decently geared and skilled dualspecs/alts in the group.

Second, recruit. If I'm short I find the bodies to fill. If it's on the day of raid, or the day before, I usually scour the game. Contacts, friends, friends of friends, PuGs, doesn't matter to me. But usually start with the friendly contacts first. If it's a consistant shortage that needs active recruitment, then I go advertising.

Three, I study up on the fights. Or at least on the ones that I expect to be doing for that week, if it's a new encounter. Which is why, on really good days when we stomp things, I sometimes find myself not having read strats, because folks did much better than I expected. Knowing what your going into at some rudimentary form is always good for leading I've found. You can go in totally blind, but it takes more time to learn. And while I know people around here don't mind learning, like everyone else they do have a certain threshold for wipeage and aggrevation. So knowing the fights in order to give some direction is always good.

Four, be adjustable. Reading up on the fights is good, but I've also found that being able to find what works for the group in order to get it done is important too. Being able to take other people's sugestions, beign able to formulate new strats on the fly if needed, in order to get it done. Doing this without cheating is big for me. I hate hearing about cheats and doing them. We're there to experience the real encounter, so that's what I aim to do. We don't have a typical group generally. You know, no clothies, etc. So when a strat says "have a deathknight do this and that" I obviously ignore that part of any given strat I read and make it happen anyway with the group we got. I mean I could always kick out one of the four druids and find a priest or whatever I feel I need (which I never feel I need, by the by). But I like that idea "Bring the player, not the class" like whoa. And we do well with that philosophy on our side.

Five, I'm ultimately responsible for what happens during the run. Stuff like keeping the raid focused, keeping the flow smooth and happy, knowing when to keep trying, knowing when to quit. Loot distribution, taking care of disputes between players, taking care of problem raiders whether that's something as simple as they're not DPSing as well as you expect or they have a bad attitude. Dealing with the whispers, which honestly aren't bad in a decent group, but you do get those "Your the leader so I'm telling you my concern because you are" whispers.

In terms of loot, as people know, we are for the most part free roll. But we do have the stipulation that on the rare occasion, we will ask people if they're willing to step aside to give loot better suited to someone else. Most times, the raiders do this for me, however, and I love them all for it, so I rarely have to pull out that card. On occasion I get a person who thinks that maybe the roll isn't fair, to which you gotta be ready to remind them of what you generally expect when folks roll. I do believe we've discussed my expectations in another thread somewhere. I should find it and make sure it's what I actually believe still. Ha.

In terms of problems with raiders. If it's a skill problem, I first tend to see if they learn on their own. I'm big on organic means. Watch their charts, see what they're using. If it's a class I'm unfamiliar with, I'll match it against someone who I know does a good job. If I find they're still struggling after awhile still then I have the talk. And since I've been watchign what they're doing I have a better idea of what it is that's really bothering me and might need fixing. If it's a dispute between players or someone is unhappy for some reason, then I take care of that ASAP. Sometimes it means putting a bandaid on it during the raid just so we can keep moving and then taking care of it IMMEDIATELY after the raid. So yeah, sometimes raid time for da good ol' leader is a little longer than when the raid stops for the day. I've been lucky, it doesn't happen often. But normally when I'm in game an hour or so after, I'm doing more than just getting a heroic done, doing some banking or doing a little herbing. I'm socializing and analyzing and repairing egos for the sake of the raid. =O

Know when to praise and when to punish. Another thing. I don't do that latter very much at all, I hope. And sometimes I feel I should probably do the former more.

That's the gist I think. Big gist. Now I run to work!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:25 am 

Hi, I'm the guy that asked Red what she does. (what I was really asking for was more of a "pre-post-raid checklist", not a complete treatise on the technique, but that works just as well...indeedy do it do)

And after reading it, I think I can do that, but I cannot do it by myself. After watching Red and Gohir do what they do, I know I'm gonna need a Gohir or Red of my own. (Not the real Red or Gohir of course..but someone to fulfill the role they do, backing the other person up and being the "other leader" when thigns go the way they do ... y'know.)

So, OH HAI! I'm gonna lead the westie raids for february (That is to say, I'm volunteering unless someone says "oh gawds no"). BUT I NEED SOMEONE ELSE LEADING WITH ME. I would like someone who is intimately familiar with the parts of the game I am not familiar with (that would be melee dps and pet classes, and to a much lesser extent, healing....). I would also like it if you were familiar with meters and looking at who-did-what so I'm not the only one parsing reams of numbers.

Disclaimer: this is gonna take some getting used to, so please bear (roar) with me. And if you want to help out, please, fer the love of all that is shiny and fluffy, speak up.

Plainswander

EDIT: this post, and any other posts I make, are to be taken as my perception, and my opinion, only, not to be taken as fact, or me speaking for anyone. If such is the case, the fault is entirely mine, and I apologize.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:51 pm 

I just want to pitch in and say that I would be willing to be a raid leader too, but I will likely be away from my computer for a good chunk of February :(. I will see what I can do. If I can meld plans around and juggle real life and moving into a new place (possibly late feb/march), then I might be able to jump in the fray. With that said, if anyone else knows for sure that they can help Plains lead, go for it. I will talk to Tyzen regarding making the Raid, but I am pretty sure anything before 8 pm server would be hard for him to manage. If we can make that work though, I am pretty positive he will be able to fill the MT or OT role pretty well once he learns the encounters.

Let me know what you think plainsy. Feel free to send me a note ingame or here on the boards too if you have any questions or what have you.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:21 pm 

noted and appreciated Grimes. And I'm still tossing times around. We have a couple desires for 7:30, I myself lean more towards 8:00, probaly for the same reasons Tyzen does, but we'll see.

-=Plainsybeans

EDIT: this post, and any other posts I make, are to be taken as my perception, and my opinion, only, not to be taken as fact, or me speaking for anyone. If such is the case, the fault is entirely mine, and I apologize.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:29 pm 

Ok so just an update, I talked to Tyzen earlier and he confirmed that he CAN most likely make an 8 o'clock server start time. So, with that said, I just have to do some thinking over it all and make sure I can commit. I will be up front and state that while I will try to make it to as many raids as I can, I cannot guarantee that I will be there all the time, especially during the next month or two. Of course that could change too, but I just want to be honest and up front.

8-11:30 give or take a bit really seems like a nice time frame for me, being on the west coast and all. Tyzen of course could MT or OT, do pally heals, or bring mage dps on Hewett (though hewett still needs some gear).

I would be willing to volunteer Grimes for MT or OT duty, and of course DPS. Not to mention I have Martok for Heals and my warlock for pew pew if need be. I will be out of town til Sunday, but maybe we can catch up sometime next week Plains.

Again, if anyone else is really Gung Ho for this, feel free to help out instead :) I still offer my services as Tank/Heals/Dps.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:53 pm 

Okay Grimes, you're gonna be my co "suicidal freak who's in trouble now"...er...leader type.

And you're staying DPS sir. You kill stuff good.

Let's start poking around, and see what we can see. I'll start asking around some other palces, and hollering the guildchannels in game.