WoW.TableTopless.com

Home of Ishnu Por Ah, a WoW Guild on the Cenarion Circle RP Server.

Login   Register FAQ    Search
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:19 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Red's Time to Change Focus
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:30 pm 
Matriarch

It’s kind of ironic the messages I got today. Like Reknor’s post from earlier about his dropping out of WoW, for example. His post was not the only one I got today along those lines. And it made me laugh because I decided a couple days ago to make a similar post too. I just gave it a few days of consideration to be sure it was what I wanted. Part of me suspects some of you knew this was coming.

In many ways, I didn’t want it to be this way, but this is how it happens to be. As has been mentioned, serious events have interjected themselves into my life after I came back from my month long break. While things are improving, it is going to be a long, slow road ahead and has left me needing to have a more flexible schedule to attend to things both physically and emotionally. It has also given me time to think and consider my priorities. And I’ve come to the conclusion that WoW cannot be something I need to work around anymore. No more scheduling/planning of raids or trying to meet self made deadlines and goals to try and keep my characters viable both IC and OOC. Coupled with the fact that the charm of WoW is really no longer there because I’m an oldtimer who remembers the good ol’ days more fondly than I enjoy the current gameplay, I’m just someone who doesn’t want to take it seriously anymore.

Previous to my father’s hospitalization, I had originally planned to make some sort of IC effort to transition the guild into something easier to manage. Not that is was that hard to manage. ;) But I admit to not having the will to do so now. I do feel fairly guilty that it’s come down to essentially just stopping and dropping it all. But as has always been the rule, real life first. And it came upon suddenly and it isn’t something I can take care of quickly or know when it will have eased enough for me to dedicate more time to the game, assuming I actually wanted to. But yeah, there is that guilt.

I love my characters and the game I’ve played with them and wish I could wrap things up neatly for them even though I feel like I’m the only one who really cares if I do. But more than that, I’ve truly enjoyed my time and experience with all those who have been a part of Ishnu Por Ah, new and old. It’s because of you that I’ve stayed as long as I have, never quitting until now. We’ve been very lucky to find each other in the vastness of this pixilated world. I feel very privileged to have gotten to know you all. I had originally come into this game thinking I would never be very social, but the people I met in WoW did everything right to yank me out of my protective shell and open me up to the internet world, allow me to take leadership and give them a home in game, and make friends across the screens. For those I’ve become friends with outside of the game, I hope our friendship continues. To all of you, I wish that I could give you all more than a simple forum post.

And now that I’ve finished up with all the exposition and mushy stuff, I now turn to you to ask, “What happens now?”

My time in game will not completely come to an end right this moment. I have a subscription until April, so I’ll be popping in game once in awhile to play on my own time. I just cannot be counted on to lead a raid or the guild reliably. And once the sub runs out, I don’t know if I’ll ever be coming back. Having said that, I want to know what people think should happen with Ishnu Por Ah. Do we just let it be what it is and just let things happen naturally? Is there someone in the guild willing to take leadership of either a raid or the guild? Do we let the name of IPA disappear and give it another name?

I admit, I was considering the latter at one point awhile ago, but now I don’t know. Even though it holds little “power” now, the Ishnu Por Ah name is a Cenarion Circle classic. And while before I didn’t want it to die a slow death, I actually don’t mind now. Hell, maybe it won’t if someone wants to take it up and try to work with it. Though, if someone does and wants to take it into a direction that doesn’t fit the classic guild format of a small and friendly casual guild with a theme, I think it’d be better to change the name. “Ishnu Por Ah is CC’s premiere 25 man raid guild horde side” or “IPA is full of elitist jerks” or “IPA is the EVIL GUILD!” just doesn’t sound right to me. XD

Post subject: Re: Red's Time to Change Focus
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:12 pm 

I think we should hold onto it. "Sail off into the sunset," that's what I'm thinking mostly. If people wish to move on--to different characters, different guilds, different servers, different games, or just on with their real lives--they can. But, they can do so knowing and remembering the good times that were had in IPA, and knowing that the friends are still there even if the guild as a body is not. Having come into this guild from one that was broken apart by drama, I would much rather this guild fade away into fond memory, and not some other way. And we can keep the name, knowing that none shall sully it!

And who knows! Maybe we'll one day find ourselves all mingling again when MoP comes around.

:?

[/soapbox]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:28 pm 

Yar, give the name to someone to hold on to. Someone with enough alts to hold it. Someone who will be trustworthy, who'll do the right thing, and who has no intentions of quitting game anytime soon. Keep the name safe at least. It's been a good home for many years, and who knows, maybe it will be again one day.

And then those of us staying in-game should take the IPA ethos and spread it to wherever we can. Because really, the game needs more "IPAness" in it. (Being a decent human, kindness, fair play, and inclusiveness... all things I associate with IPA...)

-=D

EDIT: this post, and any other posts I make, are to be taken as my perception, and my opinion, only, not to be taken as fact, or me speaking for anyone. If such is the case, the fault is entirely mine, and I apologize.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:19 am 
Honored

Well, as guild founder I have a particular fondness for it, in spite of not having played WoW in a long while.

I would prefer to let it fade away rather than have it go to pot. The idea of letting someone hang onto it isn't altogether the worst one that's been tossed in the air.

That said, if/when the guild does shutter, I would also shutter up these boards. At the very least, I would lock the message board portion as read only (PMs would still work) so I wouldn't have to worry about bots and the like. I've only really kept up this domain for the past couple of years because of the guild site and using a few email addresses for some stuff. The domain's up for renewal soon (April, iirc) and I 'd need to put some serious consideration toward spending the $80 or so to renew it.

Thoughts?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:54 am 

I'd totally renew the domain name, just because it's pretty awesome.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:47 am 
Traveler

I don't have much to say. I've been in my own personal world and as you already know, just don't feel the way I did with the game back in vanilla. I'm surprised I stayed this long, but it was the community and family here that kept me returning to WoW. I guess what I'm saying is, since the "winter break" is when I felt less and less motivated to log into WoW and do stuff. I feel like I'm done and tired of the current content.

I don't want to see the IPA tag disappear. It is our home and honestly, would be my final home for my character.

On a side note, my account is active until December 2012.

I like this site and it was one of the way to keep in contact with folks, but now with IRC, facebook and other social media, we can still keep in contact with each other if you had to close this domain.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:05 am 
Matriarch

Sorry I haven't been around. Things have been hectic. Anyway, I personally wouldn't mind keeping the website up at least another year. Don't know what'll happen in a few months or when Mists comes out. I should be able to fork over the cost of keeping it around for another year before April. And thanks so much for keeping it up the way you have all these years even though you haven't been playing with us yourself.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:42 am 
Honored

I hope that my post didn't come across at all as a "Hey, gimme money to pay for this," that was not my intention at all. I do use the domain for other stuff (mostly email and sending files to myself [less so since Dropbox]), but if you wanna toss a $20 my way to help, I won't say no.

Also, frankly, I really /should/ look into setting up another forum on the domain to go back to using it for its originally intended purpose: Table Top RPG sans the Table Top (hence the domain). Yes, with all that spare time I have between studying and baby rearing.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:06 am 
Matriarch

No, I didn't think you meant that at all. But it has been an extra expense you've been voluntarily taking on these last few years just so we could have a place to blargh our guild stuffs. Giving over some to share the expense isn't a problem. :)