WoW.TableTopless.com

Home of Ishnu Por Ah, a WoW Guild on the Cenarion Circle RP Server.

Login   Register FAQ    Search
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:15 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: WoW Mac patch out there?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:52 pm 

So, shortly after coming out here, around the beginning or middle of June, a Diablo 3 patch hit that I was unable to update. I never really figured out why, and thought nothing of it for a good while since I had mostly stopped playing by then for various reasons.

I recently learned that Blizzard's methods for pushing out patches is blocked by the networks here, which is probably why Diablo 3 stopped working. I don't know if there's much I can do about that, but the main issue now is that patch 5.0.4 has hit and I'm still stuck without it. I also play WoW on a Mac; that in and of itself isn't the problem, as I've confirmed PCs have also been experiencing this patching issue.

..That all having been said, does anyone who plays WoW on a Mac happen to have the patch file(s)? My searches have not turned up anything (none that I feel are worth trusting, anyway) as far as patch mirrors go, so my thought was maybe someone who has it could share it somehow (cloud storage, or something to that effect)? This would be greatly appreciated.

To be more specific, this is the 5.0.4 patch for US English WoW on the Mac.

Post subject: Re: WoW Mac patch out there?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:58 am 
Traveler

Hi Kaeev. I still have the WoW client on my old macbook pro. I'll try patching it and sharing it with you as soon as I work on it.

On my desktop at home, I'm usually on the bootcamp side of things.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:20 pm 

I appreciate it, Jin. From what I've been able to find so far, there seem to be two files floating around for PC, but not yet for Mac. One's some sort of patch migration file (the big one that's around 6GB), and a 5.0.1-5.0.4 patch file. That one, I've been able to find and download just in case, but I'm still looking for the bigger one. I'll let you know if I find other ways to get patched; I can't imagine uploading 6 gigs to some cloud storage is that quick or easy unless you used StuffIt (I forget if it's still called that) to break it up into parts or something.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:35 am 

Uh, if you do manage to get the patch soon, I would recommend not trying to actually play WoW with it. Supposedly a lot of Mac users are having this issue where WoW post-patch is turning their Macbook into a portable stove, even at just the login screen. Just giving a heads-up on a problem that's still being worked.

I'll still be looking for the patch, I just might wait for an additional patch before I actually try to play it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:48 am 
Traveler

I will see if I can play on it tonight. I finished downloading and patching the game last night.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:51 am 
Traveler

Hey, send me a message on here or on facebook and we can figure out a way for me to upload those files to you. If you still need it. We could use ichat and direct connect and send the files that way. I'm open for suggestions.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:14 am 
Honored

Saw this on WoW Insider yesterday. I'm not sure if this will help or not, as I don't have a Mac, but it's probably worth looking over:

Macs, heat, and WoW: How to fix and prevent heat issues in 5.0.4 and beyond

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:13 am 

Yeah, I saw the article too because of the forum thread it's based on, but after some more reading and consideration, I decided I didn't want to mess with that stuff. I'll just get the files and wait for a patch from Blizzard that fixes this issue (whenever that is). Some of the remarks in the article are also a bit silly, not to mention a little incendiary. I don't feel bad for the people that can't play so much as the people whose computers actually did suffer irreparable damage as a result. That just sucks. In the meantime, I have a different temporary solution in place that enables me to play.

Still would like to get my hands on the larger file though, so Jin, I'll be around later at about 10:30pm server time Tuesday if you want to set up something. I'll just be floating around on FB, or even the IPA Mumble server, or something.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:03 am 
Traveler

Hey Kaeev, somehow I didn't get your message you posted on tuesday. =(

Anyways, I'm always lurking on the IRC channel. I'll have the mac up and running tonight if you want to grab the file or something.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:59 am 

After some more forum searching, I actually found a fix action that enabled me to still download and start optimizing. However, for some reason it errored out about midway and I think that borked it completely, so I'm attempting a fresh reinstall through the same method. With the CPU bug still happening to a lot of Mac users, I figured I have time to get caught up this way. And if it comes down to that I can't play on my Mac for whatever reasons the rest of my time out here, I think that's ok. I have a fairly decent workaround in place until I get home.

This isn't to say that I don't appreciate your efforts to help, Jin; I really do, and I'm sorry if they were inconvenient for you.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:14 pm 
Traveler

No inconvenience at all. Gave me a reason to turn on my old mac. Just let me know if you need anything.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:37 am 
Honored

Hey Kaeev, just a thought: is the reason you can't grab patches normally because the network you're on blocks peer-to-peer perhaps? I've got a few college campus residing friends who's schools block anything that looks like it might be torrent traffic, which the Blizzard Patcher looks a WHOLE lot like. They just had to switch the patcher to the direct transfer (it's in the prefs) and they're able to get patches fine.

Nothing to do with the strange issues on Mac from the patch itself, mind you, just an idea that popped into my head.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:55 pm 

Yeah, that's what it is. There is a setting for whether or not to allow p2p traffic, but unchecking it seems to have no effect. I later learned that this may be because that change doesn't seem to take in the actual config file it's based on. So, I went to the actual file (agent.db, I believe it was called) and set p2penabled to false there.

That worked at first, but I think there's still some issue downloading because the same error I started with occurred midway through optimization, which I think messed things up.

Now, even with p2p disabled, little or nothing seems to be happening as far as downloading goes with even an attempt at a fresh reinstall. At first, I thought it was just downloading very slowly, but even after stopping the install, my network activity changed little.

I'll poke around a little more, but right now I'm content with the current workaround I have until I get home. Even if I figure out what's going on and get reinstalled on my Mac, I'll still have to wait for Blizzard to push out a patch that fixes the CPU issue.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:51 am 

After some more poking around, I was able to get the installation to work, and fairly quickly, actually. It only took about 6 hours to download a little over 20 gigs. But, as I expected, the CPU bug is indeed there. WoW was showing as having ~110% CPU usage just sitting at the login screen. Still, yay!

Also, Blizzard does now have a temporary fix for the CPU bug in place on the beta. Hopefully that will be on live clients soon. *crosses fingers*

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:03 am 

Bingo. A little patch went out with maintenance this morning and CPU usage is back down. Well, at the login screen, anyway. I didn't have time to check in-game.

Woohoo!